Seek the Holy Grail!
Black Sheep Brewery has revealed the UK’s top ten favourite Monty Python quotes to mark the release of its Python-themed beer, Holy Grail.
In a new poll Brits have selected their most-loved quotes from the legendary comedy group’s films, such as Holy Grail and Life of Brian, and TV series, Monty Python’s Flying Circus.
The most popular was ‘What have the Romans ever done for us’ from the 1979 followed by ‘Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more’ made famous by Eric Idle’s innuendo-driven character from the first series of ‘Flying Circus’.
Python’s first movie, Holy Grail, released in 1975, and the inspiration for the Black Sheep Brewery special edition beer, provides three much-loved quotes in the Top 10 including the Black Knight’s famous line, ‘Just a Flesh Wound’ after he loses an arm fighting with Graham Chapman’s King Arthur.
Black Sheep Brewery’s limited edition Holy Grail cask ale, which will be available in British pubs throughout March, is brewed in Masham, North Yorkshire.
Officially endorsed by the comedy troupe, Monty Python’s Holy Grail is a light golden 4.0% ABV beer with a fresh, zesty taste and a long crisp bitter finish. It is brewed with Maris Otter malt and a mixture of hops including WGV to give a light fruity nose. It is also, most notably, as the beer’s pump clip suggests, ‘tempered over burning witches.’!
Jo Theakston, Sales and Marketing Director at Black Sheep Brewery, said: “The genius of Monty Python is at the heart of British culture and their quotes and catchphrases have taken root in the English language. Their best lines are plagiarised by us all at one time and another and passed from generation to generation. It’s one of the things that make us British, like a good pint of beer!
“Our Holy Grail beer will no doubt help spark plenty of Monty Python-inspired barroom debate over the best sketches and lines from the TV shows and films, which is testament to the endearing and enduring talent of Python’s iconic comedy writers and performers.”
The Top 10 most popular Monty Python quotes according to a survey of 1,000 UK adults aged 30 and over are:
- What have the Romans ever done for us? (Life of Brian)
- Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more (Monty Python’s Flying Circus)
- He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy (Life of Brian)
- This is an Ex-Parrot (Monty Python’s Flying Circus)
- And now for something completely different (Monty Python’s Flying Circus)
- Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition (Monty Python’s Flying Circus)
- Just a flesh wound (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
- Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! (Monty Python’s Flying Circus)
- Bring out your dead (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
- We are the Knights who say…’Ni’ (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
The survey was undertaken by OnePoll between 10 and 12 February 2016.